I just wanted to say that Jamie and I are both amazed, impressed, overwhelmed, in awe and so incredibly moved by every ones kindness. Before we knew it, Hazels story was posted in practically ever Mama forum there is on the internets. I am astounded by the number of people praying for and thinking about her. I know she can feel it washing over her, like a cool blue light. I thought that I had lost some of my faith in human kind (it happens every now and then) but this experience of having total strangers who don't know anything about me other than the fact that I'm a fellow Mama have taken time out of their day to think about and wish well for my daughter. It means more to me than anyone could know. I cannot say enough thank-yous.
As for those of you who I do know in person and who continue to send us love, peace, thoughts, prayers, hope and grace, (and Visene, crosswords, chapstick, tissues and trashy magazines) you mean the world to me. Your words are being saved for Hazel's future, like a dowry. This Mama Sisterhood (and dada's, too) will be an inspiration to her and the wisdom and love from you all will follow her into her long adulthood. She will be honored to have so many aunties and cousins all over our beautiful planet. We love you all so much.
Tomorrow Hazel will be going to (hopefully) be extubated and have her NG tube replaced with a feeding tube. It's going to be very, very tricky and risky for many reasons that I'm not going to get into here. Suffice it to say that I was pretty much hysterical after the surgeon left our meeting. I'm very scared about the procedure. Hazel has been doing well, but has still not reached the point where we can say she is "out of the woods", so to speak. I want to pass on the following information to all the parents who read this: button battery injuries in children ages 1-5 are on the rise, much of which is because of those talking greeting cards. PLEASE do not send anyone who has children in the home a talking greeting card! I promise you that it isn't wrth it. Also, PLEASE add a quick layer of duct tape to things like the remote that all children play with, but probably shouldn't. Here is some very helpful and important information about what to do if your child swallows a button battery from the National Capital Poison Center in Washington DC. There is no reason that any other kiddo needs to go through this. I am learning that Hazel's injuries are on the very extreme end of things because of how long the battery was left undetected, but battery swallowing injuries are not as uncommon as one might think.
Love and hug your babies tonight, and think about Hazel tomorrow as she is called on to fight an incredible fight. Courage, kiddo.